Friday 5 September 2014

the summer I went book crazy...

My love for reading has definitely increased a lot during summer and I'm not that sure why. I've always loved reading, but I think since watching the 'BookTube' communities videos on youtube and hearing hundreds of recommendations after a 'booktube binge' had an influence. Here are some books I have acquired this summer.





SOMETHING OLD: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. 
This edition of Wuthering Heights I have shown above isn't exactly pristine or one you'd find in a book shop today. This book was my mum's which she won in school for 'best effort'... and she has still kept it! As she went to throw it out in the middle of a clear out of the house I jumped up, grabbed it and took it as my own. I am yet to read this, but I have heard a lot of love for this classic piece of Gothic Fiction. Stay tuned.

SOMETHING NEW: The Dynamite Room By Jason Hewitt
I hadn't heard of this book but when I did my research I found out this book was only published this year and is Jason Hewitt's debut novel. I picked it up on a whim when my local bookshop had a '3 for £5' offer and I was unsure of what book to purchase. Again, I am yet to read this, but hopefully I will update soon.

SOMETHING BORROWED: It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
Okay, finally a book which I can actually tell you about as I HAVE ACTUALLY READ. This book is about a teenaged boy who due to the pressures of high school, friends and life falls into depression and this book embarks on his story to overcome it. Unlike many other tales of mental illness and depression, Vizzini uses a humour to portray a realistic view of what mental illness is like and crafts his words so carefully that anyone can relate to it. Thanks Sarah for recommending it to me!

SOMETHING BLUE: Although it's not pictured, I bought a beautiful edition of 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' by  Maya Angelou.

OTHER BOOKS I HAVE BOUGHT/READ THIS SUMMER: Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman, My Madder Fatter Diary by Rae Earl, Mary Poppins by PL Travers, The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald, If You Find Me By Emily Murdoch, The Catcher In The Rye by JD Stalinger, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, You're The One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher, We Were Liars by E Lockhart, An Abundance Of Katherines by John Green, Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.


3 comments:

  1. Hey, congratulations, I just nominated you for the Liebster Award! You can check it out here: http://daisies-and-delights.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/the-liebster-award.html

    Love from Daisy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've yet to read Wuthering Heights too. So cool that you saved it :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!